Search The Web

Thursday, August 20, 2015

August 20, 2015



August 20, 2015
Turning the corner from the main road to our long, winding lane, the now-eager mouse-gentleman stood tall at the side of my head rest, holding on tight against the car's motion.
"The air smells familiar, Ma'am... are we almost home?" he asked politely.
“Yes, Fivel. We’re nearly home. Are you anxious?”
“Oh Ma’am… you have no idea! I don’t know what poor Fivelina will say… and the children, they must all be worried to pieces after all this time.”
We eased into the driveway and as soon as the engine stopped, I turned face to him. “Would you like me to bring you through the house to BackPorch so there’ll be no more delay getting to your family?” From driveway to BackPorch is a fair distance when you're three inches high, and weary from traveling.
“Much obliged, Ma’am…” he accepted gratefully as he hopped onto my shoulder.
Out on BackPorch, I opened the screened door and lifted him gently up to Gutter Veranda, and then watched him tap gently on MouseHouse door. Fivelina answered and the look on her face when she saw her beloved was well worth the wait.
No words, just joyful tears and an embrace that was soon joined by five jubilant mouselings. He pulled away long enough to gaze into his lady’s eyes, and gently brushed the tears from her cheeks.
I backed away, wanting to give them their privacy, but not before I saw him step back thru the doorway, look down at me and tip his cap. “Thank you, Ma’am. Thank you ever so much. Family is everything.”
Yes Sir Fivel, it is. It surely is.


No comments: