Search The Web

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

February 2, 2015


Groundhog Day, also known as Candlemas Day. There’s an old English saying that goes like this:
“If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Winter has another flight.
If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,
Winter will not come again.”
Rumor is the groundhog saw his shadow this morning and we can expect six more week of winter. Now what I want to know is how he saw his shadow when it’s dark and cloudy and snowing a blizzard! I’m thinking the shadow was cast by the big bright light they shined on his face when they hauled him out of his cozy bed!
Let me tell you if anyone woke me up and dragged me out on a cold, wintry day like this, shined a spot-light on my face and made a big production of the event with TV cameras, a zillion people watching and a whole lot of commotion, I’d be grumpy too. And I just might forecast a whole six more weeks of winter out of spite!
He’s a pudgy little creature--that little groundhog, and smart too, I’d say! Put on a good bunch of body padding before you hibernate, then snuggle down and snooze away the wintry misery. And I don’t blame him one bit for wanting another six weeks of rest.
It’s always puzzled me: six more weeks of winter if he sees his shadow, and six weeks until spring if he doesn’t. Am I missing something here? Isn’t it six weeks either way? Ha-rumph I say. Either way, a good long winter’s nap is the best way to wait it out.

No comments: