Search The Web

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

September 13, 2014


So. Have you noticed lately that everyone starts a conversation with that word? So what have you been doing lately? So I was thinking about... So even though it’s only Friday…
So what is this fascination with so, I ask? So, I turned to Google—where else? Amazed at the amount of hits on the subject, I also noted how miserably few viable answers there are.
One writer posted that the word ‘so’ is “a conjunction that implies a logical connection between what you’ve just said to what you’re about to say.” Okay, I’ll buy that, but how does that compute with how the masses are using the word today? Hmmm.
So you ask the lady next to you, choosing peaches in the produce section, “So, what’s with the price of these peaches today?” How does that connect to a previous thought? [scratching confused-spot on head]
Conclusion? My guess is that we’ve taken on yet another fad, much like that word ‘like.’ It’s rather passé by now, I believe, but there was a time when, like, everything we said was preceded by, instead of an um, or just a pleasantly silent pause, it was ‘like.’
“Like, what is with this? I’ve been, like, trying to figure this confounded thing out for, like, forever!”
So, I’m no closer to the answer why we humans are so prone to, like, taking on these grammar-slaughtering buzz-words, but, like, I guess it’s just the way it is. So…
Ah… give me MouseHouse anyday!

No comments: